In this new year, I want to encourage everyone in our community to pay attention to all the good things happening at the Rio Linda Elverta Recreation and Parks District. From all indications, the RLERPD is going to be the organization leading our town into the future.
I spoke with Dave Wigginton, the district’s administrator, about many things happening within the district. He’s very passionate about promoting civic pride within our community and getting more of our needs fulfilled by the County.
- In December, the District hosted “Breakfast with Santa” and well over 100 people attended.
- The District awarded a contract to build a new concrete basketball court at community center park.
- The District awarded contracts to rehab Hayer, Westside and Babe Best parking lots.
- Fire Truck #2 Restoration crew hosted a lunch to share their progress and provide information about the project.
- The Tai Chi Class is stronger than ever and once again held their annual potluck and gift exchange.
I don’t recall if this has already happened, or is going to happen, but he also shared that the district is expanding its borders to include the area west of Rio Linda along Elkhorn Blvd… all the way to the Sacramento River.
There were many other things that we talked about which are in various stages of development (such as the rebuilding of the skate park) but the one thing that came through was the vision of leadership and planning a bright future for our community.