More than 30 students from Twin Rivers high schools recently participated in Sacramento County’s 33rd Academic Decathlon. The scholastic competition is open to high school students from all districts in the county.
The teams, consisting of juniors and seniors, spend months preparing for the event. In addition to mastering the content, students learn about teamwork, goal setting, planning and leadership.
Highlands High School, coached by teacher Shelly Olson, earned the most medals from Twin Rivers:
- Zachary Ekstedt—Gold in literature and speech, Silver in essay, Bronze in music and Super Decathlete, also Top Team Scorer
- Arelli Mendez—Bronze in essay
- Jorge Reynoso—Bronze in science
- Brittany Roderick—Bronze in speech
Rio Linda High School, coached by teacher Robert Abbott, had two student medal winners:
- Avleen Gill—Team Leadership Award
- Riley Harris—Bronze in essay; Silver in literature; also Top Team Scorer
Although Foothill High School, coached by teacher Russell Bare, did not have a complete team in the competition, student decathlete Aileen Chhen was their top team scorer.