The draft Rio Linda Elverta Vision Plan for the Rio Linda Downtown Business District was completed in 2011 but there was no funding available to move forward.
Now there is progress thanks to Supervisor Roberta MacGlashan.
There will be a workshop at the March 27 Rio Linda/ Elverta Community Planning Advisory Council (CPAC) meeting to bring the public up to date.
The purpose of the workshop is to provide the CPAC members, interested community members and property owners with an update on the Draft SPA. The Draft SPA can be found on the Planning and Environmental Review website here. The workshop is informational and no action will be taken.
The RLE CPAC meets at the Depot, 6730 Front St. in Rio Linda at 7:00 p.m. on March 27th. The public is encouraged to attend the meeting and give input on the plan.
This Rio Linda Vision Plan establishes the goals and objectives of the community which have been expressed as follows:
- Maintaining and building on the rural, old town character and traditional features that make the community unique;
- Preserving the natural features and rural views of the community;
- Promoting downtown economic development that supports existing businesses and attracts new business;
- Creating a walk-able pedestrian- and business-friendly environment along M Street and within the downtown commercial center;
- Supporting public gathering spaces, and civic and cultural activities;
- Promoting the identity of the community through streetscape improvements, gateway signage, and marketing; and
- Continuing to improve bike, pedestrian, and transit facilities in the community.
The Rio Linda Downtown Development Code (Development Code) will update and revise the boundaries of the 1989 Rio Linda Business District Special Planning Area (SPA) and serve as the new ordinance regulating development and land uses in the Downtown Rio Linda Business District. The code provides development standards or performance criteria intended
to facilitate development and will comprehensively address the following elements:
- Design of the public areas streetscape, landscape, and gateway entries common throughout the SPA.
- Compatibility with existing development.
- Details that define the character of the SPA and each of the contributing Planning Areas.
- Conditions unique to the Rio Linda area.
The Development Code shall be used in concert with the County’s Zoning Code and Design Guidelines. The Development Code serves as a guide for property owners, developers, designers, and the County to improve the quality of development in the community and will result in a more effective design review and project approval process.