Congratulations Rio Linda! On October 2, 2012 it will have been 100 years since Michael and Lizzie Bacher became the first residents of the new town of Rio Linda. In 1913 the Rio Linda Elementary School was built and the following year–1914–the Rio Linda Post Office opened and the Sacramento Northern Railway had a train stop at what is now Depot Park. Hopes and dreams of what residents now proudly call Our Town! Everyone has a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be part of the Rio Linda Centennial Celebration and can become involved now by contacting the Rio Linda Elverta Historical Society at RioLindaCentennial@att.net.
Rio Linda and Elverta are a family community and your park & recreation district is proud to offer a number of outstanding spring events for the whole family:
- February 11 6pm Valentine’s Day Dance Party Community Center
- March 3 10am Skate Park Ground Breaking Community Center Park
- March 17 10am Pitch, Hit & Run Competition Babe Best Park
- March 24 10am Armand Nadeau Dog Park Westside Park Grand Opening
- April 7 10am Easter Eggstravaganza Community Center Park
- May 11-12 9am Farm & Tractor Days Dry Creek Ranch
- May 12 10am Mother’s Day Tea Party Community Center
Besides completing the grant for new softball field lights and upgrading the Armand Nadeau Dog Park at Westside Park, maintenance staff is replacing the playground material at Babe Best Park with a recycled tire grant from California Integrated Waste Management. Expect the playground to reopen in February.
Scan through this Activity Guide and make plans now to take advantage of the variety of opportunities to provide your family with positive recreation experiences. Plan a family outing in one of your nearby parks. Support local youth sports groups. Visit Gibson Ranch Park or take a bike ride on a local trail. Always keep in mind that Parks Make Life Better!
Wayne A. Lowery