Back in the Day...

Rio Linda Calvary Lutheran Church Lays Cornerstone

Back in the day: September 19 1952

Last Sunday was an important day in the history of the Calvary Lutheran Church of Rio Linda. C. H. S. Hunziker, pastor, the Sunday School pupils, and the adult members of the church were present in large numbers to witness the event.

Reverend A. C. Schultz of Saint Luke’s Lutheran Church, Sacramento, preached the sermon on the subject: “Christ the True Cornerstone” and assisted the local pastor in the ceremony. John Hodel, the superintendent of the new building program was assisted by Fred Hodel and Peter Posehn in placing the cornerstone into the new structure.

Some of the documents placed in the stone were a brief history of the beginning and organization of the church in the year 1923; a copy of the Rio Linda Guide of August 1923 and a copy of the Sacramento Union of the same date. The above-mentioned articles were taken from the cornerstone of the old church and placed in the cornerstone of the new church.

Other articles placed therein were a copy of the Gospel according to Saint Luke, John 3:16 in 23 different languages; an American Lutheran Church Hymnal, Luther’s Small Catechism; The Augsburg Confession, the continuation of the church; the Val U-Guide and the North Sacramento Journal, Rio Linda Record, the Bee and the Union; a copy of the Lutheran Standard and the Lutheran World Action pamphlet “Building Bridges.”

The new church is nearing completion and very likely will be dedicated in the latter part of October.

Because of the growing community, more room and better equipment have become necessary. The old church and annex will be used also for some time for educational and social purposes.

Considerable work on the new church has been done by donated labor.

(North Sacramento Journal, 19 September 1952).