Every other year the Sacramento region conducts a count of unsheltered people experiencing homelessness, as mandated by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the count was canceled in 2021 – the regularly scheduled timeframe and will be done in 2022 instead.
Led by Sacramento Steps Forward, this Point-In-Time (PIT) count provides valuable data on the number of people experiencing unsheltered homelessness, as well as trends in subpopulation demographics such as veteran status, chronic homelessness and transition-age youth over time. This information informs homeless service agencies, service providers and non-profits on how to move forward with homeless resources in the most effective manner.
The PIT count is a community-wide effort made possible by the incredible support of many volunteers and partners. Your help is important in capturing this crucial community data. You can get involved in various activities such as street canvassing, count and surveying, site set up/clean up, volunteer check-in/check-out and more! Please join us on the evenings of Wednesday, February 23 and Thursday, February 24, 2022.
Please note, you must meet these requirements to volunteer:
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (2 shots of Pfizer/Moderna, 1 shot of Johnson & Johnson) and can present proof of vaccination
- Be healthy and not display any cold/flu/COVID-19 symptoms at the event
- Be at least 18 years of age to participate in canvassing
- Willing/able to use personal supplies (e.g., smartphones, flashlights)
- Willing/able to travel by foot or car
- Attend all required trainings
For more information, please visit the SSF website. For any PIT-related questions, please contact the PIT team at firstname.lastname@example.org.